General information about Zaanstad and the Netherlands
Official public holidays in the Netherlands in 2022 and 2023
Christmas: 25 and 26 December 2022
New Year's Day: 1 January 2023
Good Friday: 7 April 2023
Easter: 9 and 10 April 2023
King's Day: 27 April 2023
Liberation Day: 5 May 2023
Ascension Day: 18 May 2023
Pentecost: 28 and 29 May 2023
Christmas: 25 and 26 December 2023
You can find an overview of the school holidays on the website www.rijksoverheid.nl/onderwerpen/schoolvakanties. NB: Zaanstad falls under the North educational region.
Civil defence siren
Every first Monday of the month the government tests the civil defence sirens at 12:00 p.m., with the siren lasting approximately 1.5 minutes. The siren is not a signal that anything is wrong and you do not have to do anything. If, at any other time, you were to hear the sirens sounding several times in a row, this would be an indication of an emergency. In that case you must go indoors immediately and close all your windows and doors. Please also refer to the brochure included in this information folder.
Several Telegram app groups have been set up for Ukrainians staying in the Zaanstreek. If you are staying at a municipal reception centre, it is best to request the details from the centre manager.
If you are staying with a host family, you can consult the brochure in this information folder. NB: This Telegram app group is only intended for people who are staying with a host family.
You may also find the following two Facebook pages useful:
1. 'Ukrainians in the Netherlands' organisation: @OekrainersInNederland
2. A group page: Emergency care for refugees in Zaanstad [Noodopvang Vluchtelingen Zaanstad]
If you have taken your pet with you from Ukraine, you can find more information about looking after your pet and other matters that you have to arrange on the website: https://www.hulpvoordierenuitoekraine.nl. You can also telephone +31 (0)88 8113333 or send an e-mail to email@example.com.
Free clothing, toys and other articles
Please visit the give-away shop (the former Miss Etam store) in the Rozenhof in Zaandam to obtain free clothing, toys and other articles. The store is located in the covered shopping centre at the centre of Zaandam. The store is open on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday from 12.00-16.00. You do not need to make an appointment. The store is closed on public holidays. Address: Rozengracht 6-8 (Rozenhof), 1506 SC Zaandam.
- In the Netherlands we have good quality tap water. It is clean and safe to drink.
- RefugeeHelp provides detailed, national information on all kinds of themes ranging from healthcare to work, income and education. The information is available in English, Ukrainian and Russian. For more information please visit www.refugeehelp.nl.
- You can find more information about Dutch culture and society at www.refugeehelp.nl and www.npokennis.nl/program/13/net-in-nederland.
- The public library is a place where people can find information, can read and learn, and find out about art and culture. The library also provides free courses, including language courses. You can find addresses, opening times and information at https://debieb.nl.
- All kinds of events are organised in Zaanstad. You can find the events and the calendar at https://agenda-zaanstreek.nl.
- If you have any legal questions, you can contact the legal help desk by attending the walk-in consultation session, by telephone (0900-8020 €010 p/min) or by e-mail. You can find more information on the website: www.juridischloket.nl.